Here are some tips on getting the bride to pick a dress that you might actually want to wear. In so many areas, you are being selfless. We feel it is only fair to try to get a good dress to wear for the reception. Remember though, it isn't worth fighting over. That said, here are some strategies to look your best in a bridesmaid's dress.
- Tip #1 - Carefully watch what flowers the bride is choosing. If they are orange, you are going to be in trouble. Try to encourage a neutral flower that will allow reasonable dress colors to work out.
- Tip #2 - Decide if the other bridesmaids are going to be your allies or enemies. If you are significantly different body type than they are you might be in trouble. Slender women and busty women look good in completely different designs.
- Tip #3 - Try clipping some dress designs from magazines to show the bride. She may not pick one of them, but if you present them well, she might appreciate the effort.
- Tip #4. For you, the cut and style of the dress is going to be important. For the bride, she will be interested in the color, length, and neckline. You should be able to reach an agreement.
- Tip #5 - Try to get a feel for what the other attendants are able to spend on a dress. You can let the bride know if she is going over budget, but it might be impolite to give the bride a target price before she has started looking.
- Tip #6 - Speak to your tailor. Anyone who has ever been involved in the fashion industry knows that the fit of the dress is at least as important as anything else. If you are going to stand next to other attendants wearing the same dress you really should make sure it fits perfectly. Speaking to your tailor in advance will let you know if you should order a size bigger and have her take it in in just the right spots. Often, a good seemstress can add darts, change the proportion of the dress and do wonders around the chest and arm opening to make you look your best.
- Tip #7 - All of the bridesmaids will have to order their dresses at the same time. That way they will made with the same batch of dye. Otherwise, one person's salmon collored dress may turn out pink.
- Tip #8 - Wear the highest heal you can get away with. This will lengthen your legs and make you look more slender. Halfway through the reception you can always kick them off to dance.
Contributed by Keesha Myas - Currator, UglyDress.com the museum of ugly bridesmaid's dresses.